The construction of Kaiserstrasse was part of the expansion of the city of Würzburg in the second half of the 19th century. In 1865, the new railway station was opened at its present location.
At that time, the only access to the town centre was via Semmelstrasse. It was not until the town fortifications were demolished that a direct route could be opened up.
The Kaiserstrasse was built between 1873 and 1877 as a direct connection from the station to the centre. On either side of this relatively narrow street imposing buildings were constructed in Gründerzeit architecture. Soon shops and other businesses became established there. 1890 saw the first horse-drawn trams in the street and from 1900 they were electrified.
The 1930 City Address Book shows the variety of businesses in the street, the main emphasis being on textiles and leather (almost 25%), followed by grocers, physicians and tobacconists.
There were three of four each of booksellers and stationers, opticians and photographers as well as wine merchants and hairdressers. Three hotels, two banks and two insurance companies occupied prominent larger buildings. Only a small number of these businesses were owned by Jews.